Let Them Make!

Have you heard the “maker movement” ? The maker movement in education is a focus on learning through doing or making, while utilizing any variety of cheap or discarded materials. The following classroom tool can help you incorporate some inexpensive, hands on fun into your lessons (without much prep) using simple items you probably have around your house. Introducing…Makey-Makey! (check out the video below)

Teachers in a variety of curriculum areas are finding ways to incorporate Makey-Makey into their lessons. Check out some of the examples here. Farmington Middle School Librarian, Kate Dillon plans to use this poetry activity she found on a Makey-Makey blog . Here at Farmington R-7 we have a kit of 7 Makey-Makey that you can borrow! You could easily set this up as a station in your room.

Makey- Makey kits are about $50 each and might be something you consider adding to your classroom purchases for next year. This link will take you to the new Makey-Makey pack that is being offered.
Our local Makey-Makey experts are Kate Dillon (FMS), Missy Tisher (Roosevelt) and Faith Gann (Lincoln) who would be happy to share ideas with you! If you are interested in trying out the Makey-Makey kit send me an email with requested dates. If I get a plethora of request I will make a calendar like we have for the Google Expeditions Kit.